Thursday, March 22, 2012

Coach



I've been thinking recently about what it means to be a coach. Webster's first definition of the word coach describes modes of transportation (a coach drawn by horses). Doesn't really describe what I do however the second definition got me thinking.

2 [from the concept that the tutor conveys the student through examinations]
  • a) a private tutor
  • b) one who instructs or trains, especially: one who instructs players in the fundamentals of a competitive sport and directs team strategy.
Some of the most influential people I've ever known were my coaches. I still use phrases today that my Pee Wee football coach, Coach Shelton, used to say. For instance I told Brinkman yesterday I was going to eat his lunch. If you talk to anybody that went to Heritage High School they will tell you how much Coach Barron meant to them over the years. I didn't go to Heritage but I am very good friends with Coach Barron's son, and have known Coach Barron for nearly a decade and even though he didn't coach me I refer to him as Coach. He's earned that title in my eyes. This may be a biased opinion but I feel that we hold the term coach closer than the term trainer. I had trainers growing up and they didn't mean nearly as much to me as my coaches did. I will work much harder for a coach than I will a trainer.

Now that being said in order to be a coach you have to have athletes. A trainer has clients, a coach has athletes. I view myself as a coach therefore any of you that "work" for me, because that's what you do when you step foot into my class, are athletes. I don't care if you couldn't catch a football to save your life or hit the broadside of a barn with a baseball, if you work for me you're an athlete. The sooner we come to that understanding the sooner we can get back to work. That brings me to my next point if you come to my class and expect to chit chat and fart around you better think again. By coming to my class you have asked me to make you better. And that's what I'm going to do....PERIOD. If you want to discuss your feelings and how so and so at work upset you Bally's is right down the street enjoy your time on the eliptical. You guys are paying too much money to expect less than my best as a coach and that means I expect nothing less than your best as an athlete. When you go to your job, if you half ass it, you will get called on it. The same goes for the gym if you're not there to work stay the hell home. It's insulting to me as a coach and to the other athletes in the class when someone pussy foots around and doesn't give their all. We have a very short window in time in which we will be able to do this stuff and if you don't take full advantage of it than move on and get out of the way. Because someone else needs the time that I'm wasting on you.



1 comment: